Splashing in the pool during summer is fun, but how many of us check the cleanliness of the pool before getting in? Be it public pools, or private pools, if poorly maintained they can pose huge health hazards. Here are a few dangers that swimming in an unhygienic and poorly maintained pool can cause:
- It is no surprise that people tend to urinate in swimming pools. Not only children but adults do this too. This leads to the growth of a parasite called cryptosporidium in the pool which if ingested can cause diarrhoea, sickness, stomach cramps and fever. This parasite can survive in a chlorinated pool for more than a week.
- A pool that has too much chlorine can cause breathing problems, skin and eye irritation and even upset asthma sufferers.
- A pool can get contaminated with the Hepatitis A virus, this can be the result of a heavy downpour of rain. Weather changes are very common in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and this can affect your pool.
- There is a free living organism called acanthamoebiasis which can enter the human body through the nasal mucosa and cause eye infections.
- While swimming, water can often enter our mouth, but swallowing pool water can cause water borne diseases.
The pool supplies specialists in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast
It is important to only enter a clean and well-maintained pool. You can get all your pool supplies and equipment at Captain Nemo’s Pool and Spa in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sanctuary Cove.